POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.programming : POV Memory : Re: POV Memory Server Time
29 Apr 2024 23:54:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV Memory
From: Apache
Date: 7 Dec 2002 19:45:01
Message: <3df2960d@news.povray.org>
Hey, that's very interesting stuff. I was thinking about some kind of JIP
(Just In time Parsing) for POV-Ray. (I have been scanning and browsing
through the source code today.) Only those parts of the scene that get
intersected by rays should be parsed. But this will only pay off with really
huge scenes with very large amounts of complex csg objects or other bounded
objects.

"Vahur Krouverk" <vkr### [at] comtradeee> wrote in message
news:3C7### [at] comtradeee...
> majucatur wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> >    I have a question for you, well, I'm developing a ray-tracing program
and
> > I need help with the aspect of the memory allocation. I define my
objects in
> > special structures, each object is allocated in memory dynamically, you
> > know, with memalloc and free, but the question is: How can I optimize
this?,
> > I want to use the less memory possible, because with objects like mesh
or
> > series of thousand objects consumes a lot of RAM memory, I don't know
how
> > POV-Ray uses the memory to its objects, but certainly it can trace
scenes
> > with a lot of complex objects without problem...
> >
> >    Should I put everything in memory?, primitives, mesh, textures, etc.
or
> > exist a technique to use more efficiently my resources.
> If you want to render more geometry than fits into memory, then only
> option is to cache it (if you don't want to leave it to op. sys.
swapping).